Architect, art historian, bibliographer, graphic artist, and cultural activist. Studied at Kamianets-Podilskyi Industrial Arts School (until 1912), and completed the Petrograd Institute of Civil Engineers with a gold medal (1912-1917). One of the founding members of the Kyiv Architectural Institute. Moved to Lviv (1918), then to Prague (1923), and earned a doctoral degree at the Ukrainian Free University with a dissertation on “Architecture of the Krekhiv Monastery Based on the Woodcut of 1699”. In Prague, taught art history at the Ukrainian Higher Pedagogical Institute named after M. Drahomanov (1923-1933) and at the Ukrainian Free University (1927-1943); taught perspective and drawing at the Prague Ukrainian Studio of Plastic Arts (1923-1942); and was professor of natural science at the Ukrainian Real Gymnasium in the cities of Revnice and Modrany (1936-1940). During World War II, he was arrested by the Gestapo and detained in prisons in Prague and Berlin (1943-1944). Lived in the Aschaffenburg displaced persons camp after his release. In 1949, emigrated to the United States. Authored numerous studies on Ukrainian art history: Wooden Bell Towers and Churches of Galician Ukraine of the 16th to 19th Centuries (1925), Architecture of the Ancient Princely Period (1926), Hryhorii Levytsky (1936), Printers’ and Publishers’ Marks of the 16th to 20th Centuries (1938). He was the author-compiler of Foreigners on Ukraine (1938), and published Wooden Structures of the Carpathian Region (1940) and Yuriy Narbut (1943). Compiled the Dictionary of Ukrainian Artists (1945) and wrote the “Architecture” sections in volumes I and II of the History of Ukrainian Art (1956). In Lviv, belonged to the Group of Ukrainian Plastic Artists (1921) and HDUM (1922), for whom he designed the poster for their first exhibition; also held membership in ANUM (1931) and participated in their exhibitions. In Prague, headed UTPK (1926—1934) and was a voting member of NTSh (1930), as well as a member of the German Gutenberg Society (1936). Joined USOM in Germany (1947) and OMUA in the United States (1952). Designed Ukrainian churches in the villages of Michalovce and Nizny Komarnik in Slovakia (1937), as well as in Brazil, Canada, and the United States. Designed memorial monuments and the covers for many of his own publications, among them Styles (1926), An Outline of World Art (1926-1928), A Ukrainian Studies Course (1934-1935), Ukrainian Culture, Ukrainian Names, and The Ukrainian Trident and Flag. His works can be found in museums and private collections in the Czech Republic, Germany, Slovakia, Ukraine, and the United States.
Books by Volodymyr Sichynsky:
- Volodymyr Sichynskyi. Andriienko. Lviv, 1934.
- Volodymyr Sichynsky. Narbut. Lviv-Krakow, 1943.
- Volodymyr Sichynsky. Ukrainian porcelain. Philadelphia, America, 1952.
- V. Sichynsky. History of Ukrainian Art. 2. Architecture. New York, By the Shevchenko Scientific Society in the USA, 1956.
- Volodymyr Sichynsky. Destruction of Ukrainian Monuments of Art and Culture under the soviet russian Administration between 1917-1957. New York, The Ukrainian Cingress Committee of America, 1958.