Painter, graphic artist, and teacher. Attended Fedir Klimenko’s studio in Odesa; saw exhibitions of the Southern Russian Association of Artists; audited classes at the University (1888-1892). Attended the Crakow School of Art (in 1900 renamed Academy of Fine Arts) under V. Lushkevich, Ya. Malchevsky, Yu. Unizhinksy, L. Vycholkovsky, and Stanislaw Wyspianski (1892-1902). Graduated with a gold medal in 1900, but stayed on for two more years to study landscape under Yan Stanislavsky. 1900 onwards participated in exhibitions.
Living in Krakow, dedicated much time to observing the peasants of Mogila Village. Much influenced by Ukrainian intellectuals and artists, especially writer Bogdan Lepki and artists Mikhail Boichuk and Mikhail Zhuk. Fascinated by its integration of Western and Eastern cultures, moved to Lviv at the invitation of Metropolitan Andrei Sheptitsky (1913). Opened a studio later known as the Novakivsky School (1923).