She was one of the best-known designers of the 20th century. She founded Orphism (bright and decorative abstract painting style) together with her husband R. Delone. She spent seven childhood years in Ukraine. She used to say Ukraine always was her source of inspiration giving her color ideas and insights.
Books about Sonya Delone:
- Delaunay, Robert; Delaunay, Sonia. Arthur A. Cohen, ed. The New Art of Color. The Viking Press, 1978.
- Delaunay, Sonia; Morano, Elizabeth; Vreeland, Diana. Sonia Delaunay: art into fashion. G. Braziller. 1986.
- Jacques Damase. Sonia Delaunay: fashion and fabrics. 1991.
- Baron, Stanley; Damase, Jacques. Sonia Delaunay: The Life of an Artist. Harry N. Abrams, 1995.
- Düchting, Hajo. Delaunay. Taschen, 1995.
- Robert Delaunay – Sonia Delaunay: Das Centre Pompidou zu Gast in Hamburg. Hamburger Kunsthalle. 1999.